Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A crazy idea that just might work...

This coming Saturday, April 2nd 2011 is World Autism Awareness Day

I am kicking around the idea of a one-man bike-a-thon to raise money for the Central California Autism Center where my son and many other kids with Autism receive therapy. Their Facebook page is here and is more current than their homepage.
This is their Youtube page featuring the videos I made to promote the center.

My plan is this: I will ride my bike on Saturday for a set amount of time (2 or 3 hours) and will ask for either donations per mile or a lump sum donation made to the Central California Autism Center. 



Donations would be made out directly to the center and will be sent directly to them. It would be an honor system type of thing.

It's a very last minute idea. I had planned on releasing a documentary about my son on Saturday but I have been swamped with school and personal stuff the last few weeks and haven't finished it yet.

This is my alternate plan to raise awareness of Autism and to actually do something that will directly help kids with Autism.

If you are interested in sponsoring me in this endeavor, thank you.

Here is my cycling credibility so you have something to base donations on...

Height 5'10
Weight 230
Age 39
Physical Condition: More modern day Neil Armstrong than Lance Armstrong
Miles ridden this year: Less than 20
Most miles ridden at one time: 36

My personal goal for this ride? 40 miles.

I have a cycling app on my iphone that will show my route and stats on google maps so folks can verify what I actually rode.

Again, this is in the very early stages of planning and I have 3.5 days to work out the details.

Any thoughts/input?

Thanks.

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment